Topic: Notre Dame

I rarely weep for the French.

Notre Dame transcends national barriers, it is the beating heart of France, but much more.

One of the top five Churches of Western Christendom (arguably the top).

For 850 years it has stood and survived, Kings , Queens, Invasion, war, pestilence, fire, reformation, revolution, and the weather...

Distances in France are measured from the great door, it is the heart of Paris, it receives more visitors per year than the Eifel Tower.

I have stood in it many times and gazed in awe and wonder at the Rose window, pondered whether it really was a sliver of the True Cross or the Crown of Thorns. Admired in true awe the flying buttresses from a baton Rouge on the Seine, walked the hallowed black and white tiles of the Knave. I could go on...….

Not even the destruction of Palmyra has touched me as this has, REAL HISTORY.

This is the bitterest pain among men,
To have much knowledge , but no power.

Herodotus

Re: Notre Dame

This is indeed a sad day.  One of mankind's most iconic monuments.  From a historical point of view it is devastating to see.  From a selfish point of view I'm taking my family to London and Paris this summer and I was looking forward to seeing the spiritual heart of France again.  I always tell my children when we travel to stop and make sure they take in the sites we see because, I tell them, you don't know if you'll ever get back here or if it will be here when you get back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-mQ9kH90Dc

I only hope the cause wasn't terrorism of some kind.

Son, you've got a panty on your head.

Sadly the thought of terrorism occurred to me. I do hope we are both wrong.

This is the bitterest pain among men,
To have much knowledge , but no power.

Herodotus

Cesca wrote:

Sadly the thought of terrorism occurred to me. I do hope we are both wrong.

Unfortunately in this day and age it is impossible not to think "terrorism" when this kind of thing happens.

Son, you've got a panty on your head.