Topic: Germans awareness

The head of VW is unaware of the "re-education camps" in china where a couple of million are undergoing "anti terrorism" re-education.

Now where have I hear about Aryan err I mean German ignorance of camps before...………………….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business- … tion-camps

This is the bitterest pain among men,
To have much knowledge , but no power.

Herodotus

2 (edited by Chuut 2019-04-17 21:15:05)

Re: Germans awareness

If he were foreign minister or ambassador this might be news but the guy is a businessman.  If he claimed ignorance of tax law or accounting principles you could grill him, but ever though the Uighur persecutions have been going on at least since I was in college, its not something that is taught in business school....I knew because I was an East Asian studies major.  The businessman who spends lots of time reading human rights reports is probably not a good CEO....he has better things to read for his shareholders.  But maybe he does know and is just being smart with a denial soas not to damage the business and not to interfere with the government making its policies.  Saying he knows to a pushy (if not obnoxious) Brit reporter is not in anyone's best interest.

If your concerned about human rights in Xinjiang, the politicians are the valid targets of criticism, for example your former chancellor George Osborne.

UK should do more business with China, says George Osborne
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 … with-china

The way I look at it business folk can take a stance or not, it is personal preference not their job....political leadership are the ones tasked with foreign relations policies.  Personally I generally disapprove of targeting business in the sort of way this reporter did.  This same type of tactic is often used to pressure companies to act because of a mob mentality social justice warrior campaign and the media shouldn't be fuelling this in my view as they may well do far more damage than if they had left things for the professionals....now I have no problem with the press questioning government officials on human rights issues.

The head of Volkswagen is first and foremost accountable to his stockholders....this is good and as it should be.  I know I try to avoid stock investments in companies that get heavily involved in moral issues when it is against the interest of the bottom line.  Volkswagen just went up a notch in my investment considerations because of this.

He is not just a businessman, he is head of VW. It has plants in the area he says he knows nothing about the internment of millions. My point was it is not the first time the Germans have said such things...………………………………….

Herodotus

And my point is even if he does know something he was smart enough not to admit it to a jerk reporter.

LOL denying stuff to reporters (however loathsome) when manifestly not true, tends to come back and bite you un the bum! Possibly not here as they are Chinese muslims, but still not bright IMHO bearing in mind German industries record in the last century.

Herodotus

Well the same could be said for just about any nations industries if you consider slavery and colonization.  But I seriously don't see any great foul here that exceeds the foul of any company doing business in anywhere in China at present.

The same company different CEO 70 years ago saying they new nothing about the concentration camps, slave labour etc...…

It does not strike you as a familiar refrain...….

Herodotus

8 (edited by Chuut 2019-04-23 00:30:08)

It doesn't strike me as important.  Now if this company and all the others from all the nations start divesting from China...that would be important....until then denying knowledge has no more effect that any other company remaining in business with the Chinese in my view.  Wake me when a company divests.

Fair enough.

Herodotus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIUKSK-Uf-E

Every time I see this I re-realize the Python's comedy comes from seeing just how much irreverence they could get away with before everyone started throwing rocks at them.  That's why I respect it so much.  Nothing was beyond their smirking reach.  I've heard John Cleese rail against political correctness.  I can only imagine what the Flying Circus would have done to that idea.

Son, you've got a panty on your head.

Tanemund wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIUKSK-Uf-E

Every time I see this I re-realize the Python's comedy comes from seeing just how much irreverence they could get away with before everyone started throwing rocks at them.  That's why I respect it so much.  Nothing was beyond their smirking reach.  I've heard John Cleese rail against political correctness.  I can only imagine what the Flying Circus would have done to that idea.

ROFLMAO I do not remember seeing that before. On point and gloriously irreverent!

Herodotus

Two things make that terribly funny.  First off only Eric Idle could tell that story with that smirking straight man approach he has.  He has the comedic confidence and wit to know the story is funny with a simple and direct delivery.  Classic Python humor:  regular stuff is tremendously funny when delivered with the wink and smirk of irreverent logic.

Second Idle is such a comic virtuoso that he knows not to add punch lines to the story.  He simply tells it straight and lets the thick irony of the situation be funny.  The lack of punchlines is so "German" and Idle uses that to add a layer to the inherent ironic humor of the situation. 

As a final note, this is a classic example of why us nerds revere the Python's humor.  As with all Python humor, Idle treats the audience like they're smart enough to get the joke.  He doesn't beat the audience over the head with the humor or guide them to the laughs.  Instead he expects that everyone in the audience is smart enough to get the joke without dumbing it down for them or cluing them in.  They never give it to you and if you don't get it then you're the ultimate butt of the joke.  The people who don't see the humor in how terribly silly the whole of mankind is thinking and acting are ultimately the ones they are telling jokes about. 

When someone tells me they don't like Monty Python I tell them that is because they are the one's the Python's are making fun of.  The joke is on them because they are the cool kids who think everything is terribly serious, and if you take anything so seriously you can't find any humor in it, the Pythons are the eighth grade school boys that point and titter.  However the reason it is so brilliant to me is unlike the rest of us nerds, the Pythons so cool they could get away with laughing at the establishment and the cool kids would lap up the derision heaped on them by the Pythons and ask for more.

The point of Monty Python's humor is not only to point out that the emperor has no clothes on, but also to point out the absurd conspiracy by the rest of the world of pretending they don't notice the emperor has no clothes.

One other point I think is funny is that the moderator unwittingly makes himself the butt of Idle's joke.  He's trying desperately to impress upon the Pythons that he gets the inherent humor of the situation Idle is relating.  That's very "American" of a comedian.  Rather than give Idle the room, he tries to insert himself and unwittingly becomes one of the things that Idle is laughing at.  Witness the look that Idle shoots him when he starts to jump in by nodding his head and saying "right" as Idle relates that the locals didn't know where the "camp" was.  He was trying to say, "I'm with you, Eric" and Idle looked at him like, "no you're not.  Stop playing the fool."  The irony of the joke even thicker as he tries to show he's cool enough to get the joke by nodding and jumping in with comments.  He doesn't seem to realize that he's making himself look foolish in the eyes of the Python's by showing he "gets" it and Idle silences him with one sidelong glance. 

The Pythons assume the audience will "get" it and if you feel the need to show you "get" it then, in the eyes of the Pythons, you don't "get" it.  In the immortal words of George Thorogood from his cover of the song "One Bourbon, one shot and one beer" "I know.  Everybody's funny ... now you're funny too."

14 (edited by Chuut 2019-04-26 08:38:24)

The Moderator, Robert Klein, doesn't seem like he is being clueless so much as being Jewish.  I don't think he is trying to impress, simply trying to act according to Jewish norms of politeness.

Now I am no Robert Klein fan, but I think you treat him a bit unfairly, mistaking manners and custom for a wish to impress.  I have been around enough Jewish folk to know that this type of behavior is not out of the norm and has been typical in my observations.  Jewish people will try to make sure you know they are including you and tend to give such acknowledgments as a way of saying they are listening to you.  Part of the Jewish tradition of derech eretz is how I interpret it.

And I don't think the look Idle gave was for that reason.  Idle was fidgeting in his chair and looking back and forth all during the clip and not due to Klein's remarks.   

Anyhow the clip and the one liner were absolutely hilarious and Idle is a master storyteller.

Another clip from the interview.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lif … vp-BBUrxVW

Chapman's ashes were "accidentally" spilled - the person responsible for upsetting the urn was Gilliam

That was classic Python, Chapman would have laughed his ashes off......

Herodotus

17 (edited by Chuut 2019-04-27 00:43:17)

When I die I want my ashes placed in a ruby ball.

Why not die trying?