Re: Anyone playing DAoC on the Phoenix server?

XP item tasks very lucrative.

Like old fashioned kill tasks, go to X location, kill Y mobs deliver Z items to NPC. You can deliver 10 items the same or mixed which are within a level range and receive a LOT of XP sometimes a level sometimes a lot less 3 bubs is the minimum so far. Once 10 XP items have been handed in you have to wait until next level before handing in more of the same and/or different ones, but you can still farm them in advance. This with solo Phoenix eggs mean that the levelling experience while still a grind is as I have said before more of a grindette.

Level range for item collection is around 7-10 so you can farm greens or reds.

This is the bitterest pain among men,
To have much knowledge , but no power.

Herodotus

Cesca wrote:

XP item tasks very lucrative.

Like old fashioned kill tasks, go to X location, kill Y mobs deliver Z items to NPC. You can deliver 10 items the same or mixed which are within a level range and receive a LOT of XP sometimes a level sometimes a lot less 3 bubs is the minimum so far. Once 10 XP items have been handed in you have to wait until next level before handing in more of the same and/or different ones, but you can still farm them in advance. This with solo Phoenix eggs mean that the levelling experience while still a grind is as I have said before more of a grindette.

Level range for item collection is around 7-10 so you can farm greens or reds.

Once you turn in 10 of an XP item, you can't turn it in ever again for that character. The list is long enough, though, that you will be able to go through most of your levels while picking up and using them.

CoH: Raithyn
SWtOR: Madgrym Crucix [Jedi Sentinel]
DAoC {Phoenix Shard}: Soric [Hero] <Synergy>, Agmundr [Berzerker]
PSN: Raithyn | Steam: Soric | Battlenet: Soric#1739

28 (edited by Cesca 2019-03-07 20:35:01)

OK 30 hours played level 34.6. Not what had been said but still very quick. All solo.

Herodotus

Cesca wrote:

OK 30 hours played level 34.6. Not what had been said but still very quick. All solo.

Is that your Mid or Hib toon? My Zerker is right around that level if you want to get a group going.

CoH: Raithyn
SWtOR: Madgrym Crucix [Jedi Sentinel]
DAoC {Phoenix Shard}: Soric [Hero] <Synergy>, Agmundr [Berzerker]
PSN: Raithyn | Steam: Soric | Battlenet: Soric#1739

Madgrym wrote:
Cesca wrote:

Is that your Mid or Hib toon? My Zerker is right around that level if you want to get a group going.

Mid BD, but chaotic play times atm, but thanks for the offer.

Herodotus

1.5 trillion bonus XP from eggs so far...………………………..

Herodotus

OK time for an update.

I have been playing many toons and am having fun, I have played on all 3 realms, Mid is slightly better on chat toxicity, but all are not that bad.

My BD is my highest at 48.5. I was told 24-36 hours to 50, I have not made that at 50 hours played. Having said that I have been faffing around a lot and have not been in a single group (by choice) with that toon. I reckon my messing about cost 5-10 hours, if I had done XP tasks and all the other tasks especially the kill tasks where the target was giving 300%+ XP I would have saved another 5-10 hours and finally if I had grouped about the same. Overall if you do the thing right and group 24-36 hours is very achievable. If you do it solo probably 36-40 hours.

The kill tasks are varied so you don't get stuck in one place and the XP items the same I do like this system.

On the frontier there are the smallgroup8manduo fanatics (who moan about the zerg), but because you get RPees for giving it a go you can get some RA's by XPing in the frontier, being ganked, and by hiding in the zerg or setting out alone with a suicide mission in mind. The RR10s are always going to bitch its too easy, but for the casual gamer it is a godsend (any).

So to sum up, so much easier to level and have fun. Frontiers (old) are fun even a 25 Thane is RR1L7 and causing no end of cussing with the hammers smile

Herodotus

Update.

I am holding off on my BD at 49.9 as I can't decide on final spec. Unlimited respecs until 50 or RR3 is awesome but makes the final pic tricky smile

In the meantime with my altitis I have been running around emain with my Skald (17), Shadzerk (12) and Hunter (10). The great thing about this server is if you get ganked you get RPees and XP! So now I just make a nuisance of myself in emain and get RPs and XP. Instead of fleeing the 'leet 8man running to me, I charge it! I do a good job uncovering stealth who don't gank me anymore as that gives away their position. All the the aforementioned toons have got 3 levels doing nothing else and all are a mino RR1l7, or around 2500 RPees at level10, not bad smile You can literally do this from lvl 1.

Loving this server and its setup, if you are bored give it a go, the graphics maybe 2 decades old but the fun is still there, and because it is so old, so are most of the players making the noxiouskid ratio quite low, they are still there just not as many:)

Herodotus

RR2 8200 RPEees on a lvl 19 skald, I have tireless and LW and purge...…………………..

Herodotus

OK it is official I am the world WORST Bonedancer ever! I tipped over by accident into a 50 and have been out defending the realm. trouble is I spend all my time mezzedthendead………………………………….

Herodotus

Update.

So the last couple of days having a 50 and a couple of 35s on Mid I went Hib.

I got a chanter up to 18 in about 3 hours. I then remembered my original toons Cesca the ranger and Phoebea the champ. Having read much on chat about difficulties of targeting keens (in Mid) I remembered the fun I'd had sticking to trolls in the past and effectively been hidden by their cloaks. So I made a keen champ. I quickly got him upto 19 and headed for the frontier, that is where the frustration set in.

Being Mid you get immediate access to Emain and can run in and out quickly, not so the Hibs and the long run from DL to Emain hoved back into reality. Now at 19 you expect to get immediately plastered, which is fine if you can run out into the action straight away, but if you have a 5 minute jog to get there it becomes old very quickly. Yes there was other action but not like being on Mid (and I guess Alb who I will try next).

The other thing was I tried to solo a bard, and even with all the stuff they do to make it easy, it was by far the hardest to solo.

Until next time.....

Herodotus

I have been on Albion (spits to the side) for the last 10 days and what wonderful fun!

The people are not as bad as I first thought though there are many, many idiots and many who are to use the parlance "salty", but I have found it tolerable.

Toons

Paladin
Minstrel
Necro
Cabby
Theurg
Reaver

The highest is 24 lowest 20, so I have given these classes a good road test.

Paladin, pretty useless solo and even more so RvR with no instas, no mezz and just a sword pretty much dead before any RvR even starts.

Minstrel, OMG!!! what fun. OTT, OP whatever you want to call it! Soloing is fine, but really from around 10 just stay in emain and get topped up with gear from a farmer toon! Two insta DDS and an Insta Stun, AOE and single CC, chain, speed and stealth! I make a thorough nuisance of myself in emain and even at 22 I can actually have an impact, mainly with the instas! I am RR2L1. Speed is the key and even with Minstrel speed 2 that is faster than hastener speed so I dodge in and out of all the fights. great fun. In comparison the skald and bard are rubbish.

Necro. Playing a deathsight solo necro. stupidly easy to level, OJs at level 7. Another stupidly OTT toon, but a great farmer. Not tried this one in RvR yet.

Cabby. Again with focus shield stupidly easy to level, both casting and melee pets mean you can pull and tank depending on situation. They just nerfed the focus shield, but you can still pull 3 yellows or two OJs at 24. I have not tried this one RvR.

Theurg. Again as a solo I am Ice. again so OTT. at 14 I was pulling grapes! the trick is to stagger the pets so the first line holds and subsequent pairs still cast. The pet spell is a DD and slow debuff. In groups I am told earth is the way to go. Again I have not tried this one RvR, but a great farmer, and like the other 2 casters no gear required, so no money spent!

Reaver. Love this toon! 2*insta DD, 3*insta PBAOE DD and debuff, chain, shield spec and a whip smile The only down side is tank speed. I just charge into the melee and set everything off and try to shield slam. Great fun.

My hibs have been neglected, but that is mainly because they do not have direct access to emain and the bard is tricky (well read slow by comparison to other toons). I suspect wardens will be good. My chanter is much like the cabby, the champ remains the most viable in RvR solo with the triple debuff much feared.

I was going back to mid to level off my skald,  but the mincer is just so much fun. Oh I forgot to mention the mincer can have a red pet too!

Herodotus

You talked me into it Don smile    Started a minstrel on Alb.  He's 21 Atm and named 6speed smile

Alan, welcome aboard!! shame about our 8 hour time difference! We can but try.

I am still playing Alb as it was so much fun, but as usual I have no "main" as such, and I rotate through my various toons, highest around 32 atm.

Biggest change recently was last weekend they killed off RPs for the RvR tasks for those under 25. Huge mistake in my view and pandering to the elites. Despite this it is still very easy to level, the BGs have revived slightly but exactly as they were 20 years ago, moderate activity in Thid, nothing in the next two until you hit Cathal where there is a bit more the the frontier.

I fear they are going the way of many servers by pandering to the top 10% and ignoring the 90% of casuals, but we shall see, atm, it is still fun.

My toons are:

Mincer: Lizajane
Paladin: Chevallier
Reaver: Nannywhip
Theug: Icedream
Necro: Skullnbones
Friar: Reverendmother
Cabby: Ladyjanegrey
Inf: Marthahari
Armsman: LadyDarbanville
Scout: Rogerthecabinboy

Surprisingly I have not been busted for any of the names, thus far smile

Herodotus

Spent the weekend with my Hibs, I rather wish I hadn't!

Moaning and whining on an epic scale about everybody but themselves.

Doing a /serverinfo revealed there were about 550 Albs, 540 Mids and 410 Hibs, they were moaning about numbers but there were 94 Animists online (the most popular class of all 3 realms), so the depleted numbers were depleted further by 1/4 of them being farmers! When this was pointed out most moaned further.

Anyhow as the whines grew in intensity my wish to stay lessened. When I got back on Sunday (12 hour realm timer to stop Xrealming) The Albs were a light relief!

They have also been suffering a DDOS attack since Friday, log in problematic and lots of LDs. A disgruntled player who has been banned (none specific) is suspected.

Herodotus

Didn't get a chance to play this weekend . It was Luftgekühlt weekend  (once a year air cooled Porsche gathering )  smile

Tried today but I had log in issues which seemed common due to the DDOS attack on the server.

Cruzin wrote:

Didn't get a chance to play this weekend . It was Luftgekühlt weekend  (once a year air cooled Porsche gathering )  smile

Tried today but I had log in issues which seemed common due to the DDOS attack on the server.

Post pics of porsches!

Herodotus

I don't want to derail the thread Don but I'll post one pic.   The event moves location each year .This year it was held on the back lot of Universal studios in Studio City. That's about 10 minutes from my house.   This photo is of a Singer Porsche.  While it may just look like an old air cooled Porsche ,Singer takes these cars down to the frame and rebuilds them .The body panels are all carbon fiber and the suspension and interior are not even close to stock.  The engine has been reworked and puts out 500 horse power.  Prices start at $500k without any extras. Way way out of my budget smile

Well, looks like I can't post an image but the text should give you an idea of what the event was like smile

I made a post on the suggestions page of Phoenix, below is the text:

"This is a thought I had many years ago and submitted to Mythic with no response back in 2002. It has probably been mooted many times before, but here goes anyhow, something for all to think about and comment on .

One of the major problems of this game has always been its lack of “endgame”. As there is really no realm endgame people tend to concentrate on personal aggrandisement and this can have a detrimental effect on the realms themselves. What I believe is needed is something that will draw all players to the realm they fight for and I do mean all from the most humble to the top flight RR10s.

What am I babbling about?  In a nutshell have a proper war which culminates in the sacking of a capital city!

Is it possible, well yes Gaheris and Mordred showed us we can all enter each others realms, and there was a DOL server which tried this but it failed for lack of people to carry it out.

So how would it work?

Once a month (or at whatever time interval the devs deemed appropriate, but we will work with once a month), the devs would declare that weekend X from Friday noon CET to Sunday midnight PST (for example), would be the War event. This would be announced at least a week in advance so that the guild leaders could get their shit together and organise! Additionally the unguilded would be told, by the forum and announcements. Two weeks would probably be best. Comms between guild leaders and other realm personalities would then try and organise who was going to do what and when. Comms security would be the concern of the realm, and it is highly probable that espionage and subterfuge would take place, all part of the war, and all's fair in love and war.

Once people were aware leaders however they “emerged” would then try and maintain security while planning how they were going to either attack or defend or both. Numbers could well be the deciding factor. Everybody will say they will turn up, but whether they will is another matter. Crossrealming would have to be turned off for entire weekend, whichever realm logged into first you'd be stuck with.

So how does it work? There are a number of stages which have to be achieved which get progressively harder.

Stage one: take all the frontier keeps of the target realm ( will use alb as the target throughout , but the principles apply to all). You have to take them all and so the relic keeps are last and one of those will be the portal. Once all the keeps and the portal are taken then the invaders can port to the designated area of the target realm. The portal only remains open while all the other target enemy keeps are held, if one is lost the portal closes and no more reinforcements may port and importantly no rezzes for the invaders.

Stage two: The invading army is transported to Alb, but not Camelot, Lyonesse, they will then have to progress through the various zones. Now in keeping with a line of communication theme (LOC), the invaders will be required to take and hold 2 points in each zone on the journey north (but not in the arrival zone, where they just have to hold the portal point/fort). So for example as the invaders left Lyoness and entered Cornwall their next target would be Yarleys farm and Cornwall station. In Avalon marsh Caer Witrin and Adibrarbs retreat. Camp Forest, The lethanthis asscociation and Caer Ulfwych. In Salisbury the two towers. These points must be held in a LOC all the way back or rezzes are not available, so the invaders can just charge and hope they don't loose too many on the way north or garrison those way points after seizing them.When you get to Camelot hills you have to hold Prydwyn Keep.

Stage three: You finally arrive at Camelot, you have a secure LOC in place. Now normally capitals are zoned into, so some sort front end would have to be put on to represent the siege of the capital. Once the doors were down all could port in where they have to kill  everything in sight to get to the throne room where King (insert name) will be supported by their closest warriors and be mega Keep lord and guards. Kill them and the task is done. Appropriate rewards dished out to all invaders online, as some will be defending the  the LOC and frontier keeps. Rewards to be decided but generally a nice goody or two and some cash.

You could have an interim stage between two and three, whereby the invaders say sack housing and loot the contents before taking the capital. The losing defenders with houses lose their contents and the attackers have them distributed as a cash equivalent. This gives everybody and incentive to defend the realm to the best of their ability.

Additionally as reward a title could be given as an invader which could be displayed under their name like Rrs are now.

The event could either end on the first fall of a capital or continue throughout the weekend so realms  had to think about defence even if they have just sacked a capital. Once the event was over all invader would be repatriated automatically and life would resume as normal. No hidden lingering stealth in the enemy heartland.

Why would we do this. Well we all know burnout and boredom play a part in the death of a server as well as the gap between the casuals and the leets growing ever larger and more insurmountable, it is a way everybody can get involved with lowbies constantly harassing the invaders and their LOC or the frontier, Realm pride is up for grabs as well as bragging rights etc. In short it tries to redress the slip from a gaming collective experience to indvidual (and usually selfish) gaming. Now we may have gone too far down the individual route, but perhaps not.

So far as the technicalities are concerned its has all been done before, entering foreign realms, setting way points etc, so hopefully there would not be too many difficulties. The other thing is not to have it on all the time but as a monthly or bi monthly event which can be looked forward to, planned for and enjoyed by all players. We used to have something similar by way of Realm pride, I remember on Tristan back in 2001(ish) the week long siege of Nottmore, taken by the Hibs and held by them for a whole week against all comers.......

Anyhow what do people think?"

Herodotus

Looks like they've solved the login issues and no LD's reported .  smile