Topic: What is the greatest race in Sports.
Just curious what folks here think.
Of course everyone likes their own particular sports and that may well cause bias, but which great races can you and will you make a case for. Naturally there is no right or wrong answer, just curious to seeing what people like and dislike and why in good old debating/presenting form.
Haven't made my mind up yet but I think some likely favorites may be (in no particular order)
1. The Kentucky Derby. Got the traditions and the Horses are wonderful beasts to watch.
2. Le Mans. 24 hour endurance car race
3. Palio di Siena. Another horse race but of a different nature entirely. Fast paced exciting and dangerous with the horse race through narrow urban streets with hard turns.
4. Tour de France. The endurance test of the cyclists that features team work, endurance, climbing ability, and strategy.
5. Daytona 500. The Holy Grail of NASCAR and the only major race where they tend to go 3 wide.
6. Rally Finland. The most prestigious of the rally car competitions, where there is much more freedom to modify and they drive on public roads and not racetracks.
7. Olympic Games 100 meter dash. Not machines no beasts of burden just man against man to see who is fastest.
8. Olympic Games Marathon. Same as above but focused on endurance
9. Olympic Games Triathlon. A foot race but only after swimming and biking.
10. America's Cup. Test of sailing skill and only done on a challenge.
11. Vendée Globe. Sailing around the world, non-stop, in a race with a crew of one.
12. Barcolana regatta - Boats of all shapes, sizes and crews and crew skill levels compete all at once in a massive race with different divisions all competing at once.
13. Anything where Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond compete against each other.
14. Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. A truly gruelling fight against the competition and nature, and featuring some wondrous beasts of burden.
Well if you toss out #13 as the obvious winner....LOL
I've narrowed it down for myself between my #2, #5, #11, and #14 All of which are very different but similar enough to the others on my list to have knocked them out. For Example the Iditarod knocked out the Tour De France for me because it has most of the same type elements and then even more and does then better in my view. Daytona does the same for the Palio di Siena, The Vendée Globe makes all other sailing races seem handicapped, etc.