1 (edited by Chuut 2019-05-13 10:53:49)

Topic: What is the greatest race in Sports.

Just curious what folks here think. 

Of course everyone likes their own particular sports and that may well cause bias, but which great races can you and will you make a case for.  Naturally there is no right or wrong answer, just curious to seeing what people like and dislike and why in good old debating/presenting form.

Haven't made my mind up yet but I think some likely favorites may be (in no particular order)

1.  The Kentucky Derby.  Got the traditions and the Horses are wonderful beasts to watch.

2.  Le Mans.  24 hour endurance car race

3.  Palio di Siena.  Another horse race but of a different nature entirely.  Fast paced exciting and dangerous with the horse race through narrow urban streets with hard turns.

4.  Tour de France.  The endurance test of the cyclists that features team work, endurance, climbing ability, and strategy.

5.  Daytona 500.  The Holy Grail of NASCAR and the only major race where they tend to go 3 wide.

6.  Rally Finland.  The most prestigious of the rally car competitions,  where there is much more freedom to modify and they drive on public roads and not racetracks.

7.  Olympic Games 100 meter dash.  Not machines no beasts of burden just man against man to see who is fastest.

8.  Olympic Games Marathon.  Same as above but focused  on endurance

9.  Olympic Games Triathlon.  A foot race but only after swimming and biking.   

10. America's Cup.  Test of sailing skill and only done on a challenge.

11.  Vendée Globe.  Sailing around the world, non-stop,  in a race with a crew of one.

12.  Barcolana regatta - Boats of all shapes, sizes and crews and crew skill levels compete all at once in a massive race with different divisions all competing at once.

13.  Anything where Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond compete against each other.  wink

14.  Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.  A truly gruelling fight against the competition and nature, and featuring some wondrous beasts of burden.

-----------------

Well if you toss out #13 as the obvious winner....LOL

I've narrowed it down for myself between my #2, #5, #11, and #14  All of which are very different but similar enough to the others on my list to have knocked them out.  For Example the Iditarod knocked out the Tour De France for me because it has most of the same type elements and then even more and does then better in my view.  Daytona does the same for the Palio di Siena, The Vendée Globe makes all other sailing races seem handicapped, etc.

Re: What is the greatest race in Sports.

Other than #13 smile

1) The Marathon, battle etc.

2) Vendee Globe

3) Iditarod

I would add to the list:

The Marathon de Sables
The Paris Dakar rally
3 Peaks
Coopers hill cheese rolling race
Up'ards and downwards football game

This is the bitterest pain among men,
To have much knowledge , but no power.

Herodotus

I've always considered "racing" of any kind to be among the purest forms of sport.  "Be home first" in my opinion is the most simple and straight forward objective someone could possibly strive for in a competition.  Jumping and throwing things come under that same heading.  That makes me a track and field fan.

As such I narrowed my field to 7 and 8.  The other races named, while spectacular in their own rights, require equipment to participate (car, horse, sled and dogs, boat etc).  That means that 1) one of the participants might simply have superior equipment making the others unable to compete and 2) it bars segments of the population from competing.  These races also are older than history as I'm sure the footrace has been around since humans became bi-pedal.

I acknowledge the skill and training that go into the Olympic races and that the competitors have been provided with the best shoes, uniforms and treatments for their body that modern science can provide.  Yet as noted it is as mano y mano as a race can get; my body's performance is superior to your body's performance. 

There is a giant implied political significance to this kind of race as well.  The winner's country can, and often does, make an implicit claim of physical superiority a la Jessie Owens.  This exists to a lesser degree in the other races, probably because national loyalties are more blurred.

If I'm forced to pick one of the two I'd pick the Olympic Marathon because of the lore behind the race and the endurance and speed required.

Son, you've got a panty on your head.

4 (edited by Chuut 2019-05-17 01:12:28)

Well equipment is its own race.  A sport including those throws in more brainpower in my view.   A car designer, a chief mechanic, a dog trainer, etc.

I acknowledge the skill and training that go into the Olympic races and that the competitors have been provided with the best shoes, uniforms and treatments for their body that modern science can provide.  Yet as noted it is as mano y mano as a race can get; my body's performance is superior to your body's performance.

Mano a mano is Spanish for hand-to-hand  the human hand evolved to grip tools....not using tools is sort of denying the humanity in my view.  That is why 7 & 8 didn't make my cut.  Of course there is nothing wrong with a different opinion on a purely subjective discussion like this, I'm just explaining my reasoning.

I guess it is sort of checkers vs chess.  Checkers is a simpler game with less elements involved ...all the pieces are of 2 types, checkers or kings.  In Chess more factors come into play.  Some prefer the simpler game, others like myself prefer a more complex one.  If you want to get even more basic you could go with Tic-Tac-Toe I suppose...or more complex something like SFC or old Avalon hill war games....but what really matters is which one YOU enjoy.