Topic: Look how free I am!

Giving up on Game of Thrones was like giving up on an MMO I no longer liked.  It's a big sigh of relief.

Son, you've got a panty on your head.

Re: Look how free I am!

LOL I haven't got the required channel, so I will wait and DL and binge at a later date smile

This is the bitterest pain among men,
To have much knowledge , but no power.

Herodotus

3 (edited by Chuut 2019-04-30 12:06:04)

LOL.... One of the most awesome episodes ever was on Sunday....bad time to quit.  If you saw it before quitting then not so bad, but I fail to understand why.....

Overall I think the show is awesome albeit not as good as the books, and while I have some minor gripes nothing is that perfect.

I quit last season (Season 7).  I'd been hanging on and then I just lost interest.  The show didn't have the political intrigue I enjoyed so much anymore and when they killed Little Finger in apparant attempt just to clean up the plot-line to get the the war against the dead I just gave up on it.

The reviews I've heard (one was from my oldest son who still watches) said two things about the last episode.  First it was filmed so dark that it was hard to see the who episode and second the Night King is dead, killed by Arya Stark.  That kind of makes sense since the Night King is death incarnate and she's been groomed to face down death since the begining of the show.

My son also said that no major characters were killed.  I understand that House Mormont was pretty much wiped out, albeit heroically.  My son said the deaths that did happen were more about redemption than anything else. 

A friend of mine who still watches believes that the ultimate twist might be that Cersi will win and some of the lead characters will form some kind of resistance.  Personally I think it's more likely that the Second Sons and Dario will ride to the rescue of the "good guys". 

Frankly that's what made me quit the show.  The show was originally about flawed characters that contained both good and bad and blindspots.  Maybe Cersi will get redeemed in her final moments. 

Either way it just wasn't for me anymore and I'm glad I let go of it.  Like I said for me it was like quitting an MMO.  I loved it, then I liked it, then I got a little bored with it until I finally just gave it up.

Any parts I'm interested in will wind up posted on Youtube anyway if I ever feel like checking it out again.

It seems as I read more reviews that these complaints are pretty widespread.  My son also said after he thought over the episode he was disappointed.  Here was this big baddie the Night King and now he's gone and the audience never learned anything about him.  No explanations, no answers, nothing. 

He says he's watching the last episodes, but now it's out of inertia instead of anticipation.  He figures he's invested this much time, so he'll go on to the end.

His opinion is the only way to save the plot arc and the character arc is to make it come out that the big baddie is actually Bran and he orchestrated this whole thing to eliminate magic from the world that could stop him, i.e. the Night King and the White Walkers.  In other words if the ultimate twist was that the Night King was actually the good guy and he had come to eliminate the true threat to the world, which was Bran.  He confesses this is a long shot.

Tanemund wrote:

The reviews I've heard (one was from my oldest son who still watches) said two things about the last episode.  First it was filmed so dark that it was hard to see the who episode

That was not by mistake.  They were fighting the Nightking and not Captain Sunshine LOL.    The darkness was a vital part of the effect.  Of course the modern just give me special effects all the time without suspense, mood, etc., crowd might not like it so much but the darkness was key in my view.

Let me make my point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-PvMJbZ1l4

Take the first segment of the battle.  The forces of darkness are out there but you don't see them....Melisandre show up unexpectedly and lights all the 100,000 or so Dothraki hosemen's ankhs on fire. which is great because they don't have dragonglass for all of those crazy horse warriors ....the fire starts at one blade then magically jumps down the line bringing light to the darkness at the front of the army...  The feeling of hope in the air is clear and in the viewers as well.  The Dothraki charge and the distance shot is awesome.  some other calvary are with them notably Jorah Mormont and Ghost.....Flaming catapult shots shoot overtop of them landing in the dark unseen...then suddenly they are on the enemy and we see only a flash for a second....looks like maybe the front riders where our closeup is was a zombie Giant in the darkness and then we get the distance shot and watch those flames burn out rather quickly...in seconds the Dothraki are gone just about all 100,000 of them...and everyone characters and audience alike are thinking OMFG!  what did we just see.... except we really didn't directly see anything thus increasing the dread and gloom.... Pure genius!!!

Tanemund wrote:

son also said that no major characters were

Depends on your definition of major characters.  Jorah and Theon are fairly major.

Tanemund wrote:

My son said the deaths that did happen were more about redemption than anything else.

Only Theons.  The theme with the deaths including Theons was sacrifice.

Tanemund wrote:

A friend of mine who still watches believes that the ultimate twist might be that Cersei will win and some of the lead characters will form some kind of resistance.  Personally I think it's more likely that the Second Sons and Dario will ride to the rescue of the "good guys".

I had considered the second one, but I think not, it undercuts Jorah's character too much....but I wont rule it out.  The thing I like about the Dothraki getting crushed along with most of the unsullied is that this makes the final struggle a more Westeros affair without so many foreigners.

But the fact is they likely do need more troops.  I see 3 real potential sources.

1) the Rest of the Northern Houses that refused to go to Winterfell because John bent the knee to Dany.  Now that Dan'y relative strength is less than Johns after the Dothraki got wiped and most of the unsullied as well ...she may have to recognize John's claim or at least agree to co-rule.  John as Aegon Targaryen and also the King of the North could possibly win back their loyalty.

2)  Dorne.  Elisa Sand is still in the black cells at kings Landing and if escaped might bring in Dornish forces....but I doubt this will happen  after all she was a usurper herself.

3)  Tyrion has friends that they will pass by on the way from Winterfell to Kings landing...the Hill Tribes of the Vale.  Would be kinda fitting if Shagga son of Dolf killed Euron Greyjoy and fed his manhood to the goats.

10 (edited by Chuut 2019-04-30 21:49:09)

Tanemund wrote:

Frankly that's what made me quit the show.  The show was originally about flawed characters that contained both good and bad and blindspots.  Maybe Cersei will get redeemed in her final moments.

Nope, but her death will redeem Jamie when he chokes her with his golden hand. 

As for flawed characters it was on display this last week.  We saw some cowardice from Sam and we saw the Hound give into despair for a while.  The week before we saw Dany's pride and the revelation about John being Aegon and thus a threat to her rule.  We have recently seen Tyrion fooled by Cersei and his value as hand questioned....(another reason I could see the hill tribes joining to re-establish Tyrion's value), We saw last week Brienne's disdain of the title of knighthood for what it really was her true desire to be one.  We saw Davos overcome his need of revenge on Melisandre this week, and we saw Theon finally accepting that Winterfell was his true home even after the horrible things he had done.

The Brienne scene was really striking if you contrast it with Cersei.  Both were women denied respect and position because of their gender and both worked hard for their status.  Cersei took hers by every ruthless means, Brienne on the other hand endured many hardships and sacrifice.  Cersei in the end has what she wanted but has lost everything of real value as she took from everyone for her selfish goal....Brienne gained everything by giving to everyone and having her sacrifice willingly rewarded. ...It is no accident that Jamie is the one to Knight Brienne and no mistake that he does so after he and Cersei part ways and he goes to fight the dead without the Lannister army among new friends who were once enemies.  Brienne and Cersei are perfect counters, Cersei the beauty and Brienne the not so much so and nearly opposite in every possible way.  This is damn good writing and character development.

Oh and BTW we still have the Cleganebowl to look forward to.

https://i.imgur.com/RQ1px3k.jpg

11 (edited by Chuut 2019-04-30 22:16:54)

Tanemund wrote:

It seems as I read more reviews that these complaints are pretty widespread.  My son also said after he thought over the episode he was disappointed.  Here was this big baddie the Night King and now he's gone and the audience never learned anything about him.  No explanations, no answers, nothing.

ummm.....I think you forgot something...

Game of Thrones 6x05 - Bran finds out the origins of The White Walkers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guhc75cGY2Q

Game of Thrones: Season 1: Episode #3 Clip: Old Nan Tells of the Long Night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zECQXn6yFms

Game of Thrones (S03E01) - Jon Snow meets Mance Rayder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn_v0yZWPbM

Jon and Daenerys in the Dragonglass Cave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJnMJc6Xgs0

and this one you didn't see because you stopped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpgj9_yxVVI

Sam: "What does he want?"
Bran: "An endless night. He wants to erase this world, and I am its memory."

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bastids

Herodotus

The more I hear the happier I am I quit this.

And that is all that matters, what works for you.  That you are happier not watching Game of Thrones is no different from me being glad I quickly ditched DAoC.  Different taste are what makes the world go around.

I understand DAoC.  It's dated and not particularly spectacular in any area except RvR and you don't have the nostalgia feeling for it that I did, but even I eventually came to the conclusion that I didn't love it anymore.  It was always about the people for me.  The only game I played for the game itself was the second time I played CoH/CoV.  DAoC was my first "girlfriend", and I always have a special place in my heart for it, but my favorite in the end, if you put a gun to my head, would have to be CoH/CoV.  From character creation to the highest levels it was truly engrossing to me for some reason.  I never really got tired of playing it.  I just would periodically run out to time to play it.  I always came back though.  One of the saddest days of my gaming life was being logged in when they shut the game down watching my friend Nox Noctivagus disappear from the screen for the final time.  A little piece of my heart died that day.  Just my opinion.

I was just groaning as I hadn't seen it and didn't want any spoilers smile

Herodotus

17 (edited by Chuut 2019-05-12 04:48:59)

Tanemund wrote:

I understand DAoC.  It's dated and not particularly spectacular in any area except RvR and you don't have the nostalgia feeling for it that I did, but even I eventually came to the conclusion that I didn't love it anymore.  It was always about the people for me.  The only game I played for the game itself was the second time I played CoH/CoV.  DAoC was my first "girlfriend", and I always have a special place in my heart for it, but my favorite in the end, if you put a gun to my head, would have to be CoH/CoV.  From character creation to the highest levels it was truly engrossing to me for some reason.  I never really got tired of playing it.  I just would periodically run out to time to play it.  I always came back though.  One of the saddest days of my gaming life was being logged in when they shut the game down watching my friend Nox Noctivagus disappear from the screen for the final time.  A little piece of my heart died that day.  Just my opinion.

CoH/CoV was an absolutely phenomenal game.  They got so many things right with it.  The Costume/ character physical feature options, the Community they created for the various interests whether it was the Cosplayers or the powergamers, and even most of the updates/nerfs were well reasoned and fair despite the various bitchings.  A certain degree of customization, not just the various archetype subcategories but power selections and choice of enhancements and enhancement sets.  They ran their forums well and the developers were involved somewhat with the players.  The Special events were great...from Giant snowmen, to the Rikti Invasion, to the giant monsters player by the developers.  They even were smart enough to have some truly gruelling raids especially those in the astral zone or whatever they called it (I don't recall) to be true challenges to players.  Nifty little things like minor perks for badgehunting that gave characters stuff to do while waiting on friends, base designing and such....  and dragging certain friends out of  the costume shop was a heroic challenge at times, lol.   Just a full package for a very long time gamewise.  Of all the games I've played CoH and SFC are the two true standouts.  Both times, as great as the games were on their own (and they both stood out in that regard) it was the people in the community that was the real treasure.

I only started losing interest when they launched the "Incarnate bit", but that is not surprising as this is the sort of thing that I always lose interest in a game when it happens.  When they push beyond top level in such a drastic fashion.  I lost interest in old D&D campaigns the same way when the character start being a challenge for the Demon Lords and such....so its just a part of the game that didn't hold my interest and when it came out all the folks I knew were trying to improve their lvl 50s with it and so it wasn't really interesting for me...so I left the game....figured I might return when that had died down and new content came out for lower levels and such but the game got yanked before that happened.

I find it funny that I can still remember the toon names of many of the follies years later, Nox, Noir and Rose Neko, Icewytch, Medicine Man, etc.  And even many of those names that I don't recall I can still see the costumes for in my mind's eye.

Having stuck with it until the end, I'm wishing that I would have just skipped the last season.  The war with the dead only lasting 1 episode was a sham.  The following episode made me think that the political intrigue was coming back, but that went away as quickly as it arrived.  Then to top it all off, the last 2 episodes took everything that had been building for 8 seasons and flushed it right down the shitter.  As my brother-in-law put it, "I feel like Ralphie with the decoder ring".

The last 2 seasons felt very rushed, even though they spread them out unnecessarily.  I know they didn't want to go with the typical "happy ending", but the way it wrapped up was just frustrating.  If that was their goal, mission accomplished.  Too many open storylines and unanswered questions.  Like where the FUCK did that new Wall come from?!?

Dave, you made the right call quitting when you did.

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

Iktarr wrote:

As my brother-in-law put it, "I feel like Ralphie with the decoder ring".

The best quote line I've heard yet on the series.  No one seems to be happy with it, including my son who is a GoT fanboy.  He watched it last night and came out of his room and said one word, "Trash".  He said the last episode could have been 15 minutes long, but they dragged it out to an interminable length. 

Ah well.  It's not unique when it comes to disappointing endings for Television shows.  Of all the one's I've watched only Breaking Bad finished as strong as it started.

GoT at the end suffered from one thing ....a lack of George R.R. Martin having already laid out the course.  Nothing they came up later could match his plot lines and character development.  They could wow with special effects and superb cinematography but that was it. 

That being said, what we got wasn't trash, but what we didn't get was full Martin, and that is what we had grown to expect.

ACHTUNG, ACHTUNG, SPOILERS

OK I finally DL'd and watched it in a binge over the weekend.

Episodes1-3 I really have no problem with they were fine. So far as the Battle of Winterfell was concerned the fact the Nightking was a better pilot irked me as did Draggon landing and the dead covering him. Overall though not too bad, and Arya getting THE kill (sic) was brilliant.

I suppose my issue was with the subsequent 3 episodes and the fact they seemed to drop into romance mode very like SW1-3. Then to compound matters we had windlass/ballistae more accurate then Patriot missiles and with a better tracking system, followed in the next episode by a Draggon with and endless supply of fire and which seemed to have some sort of ability to knock down 20' thick walls! Now I know dragonfire is mythical , but never in those myths has it had the ability to knock down walls, act like napalm yes, act like a barometric bomb no.

I thought the ending was a cop out, I couldn't see Greyworm laying down his arms any more than I could see the great Lords allowing Sansa to walk away with the North. They seem to forget that Euron (sp) had already circumnavigated the globe when talking of Arya's fate. John Snow just turned into a poodle (who did turn), but I was disappointed there. Cersei and Jamie dying together, very Romeo and Juliet. The Hound and the Mountain, there was no guarantee the Mountain ( a Golem) would die in the fall/fire, but I get the irony from the Hound's point of view. Dragon flying off, yep I am ok with that and his sparing of the last male Tygerion.

George Martin based the whole saga on the English Wars of the Roses, a civil war of particular viciousness. The intractability of resolving the Kingship between the House of Lancaster (red rose) and that of York (white rose), only came into focus when the only members of the respective houses left who were not dead were minor scions and women and if they continued they would cease to exist at all. The compromise was after the battle of Bosworth field (1485) where Richard III was killed, Henry Tudor (a minor welsh branch of the House of Lancaster) married Elizabeth of York and ended the wars with the Tudor dynasty. In my mind Tyrion last of House Lannister should have returned to Sansa of House Stark, married (again) and thus carried a new dynasty forward.

Herodotus

22 (edited by Chuut 2019-05-27 12:30:34)

Cesca wrote:

yep I am ok with that and his sparing of the last male Tygerion.

Not the last there is one other....or at least 1/2 another.  wink

When Tywin Lannister tells Tyrion "You are not my son", he wasn't lying.  The Mad King had a thing for Tyrion's mother..... Read the books and you see more hints.

Chuut wrote:
Cesca wrote:

yep I am ok with that and his sparing of the last male Tygerion.

Not the last there is one other....or at least 1/2 another.  wink

When Tywin Lannister tells Tyrion "You are not my son", he wasn't lying.  The Mad King had a thing for Tyrion's mother..... Read the books and you see more hints.

Books read, memory failure (still) but it makes my Tyrion/Sansa ending even more apt as it includes the Tygerions as well as the other two.

Herodotus

Stumbled over some deleted scenes, you have probably all seen them, but they were new to me.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment … ailsignout

Herodotus