Topic: 75th Anniversary of the Normandy Invasion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fL8lCFhPq0

Son, you've got a panty on your head.

Re: 75th Anniversary of the Normandy Invasion

Was at the COPP memorial. As I have mentioned before I am about 3 miles as the crow (sic) flies from where all the stuff went on the 5th (closest I have ever got to a US president  smile ).

I am amazed at the number of errors ALL the networks are making, from casualties to opposition, it seems the myths are more important than the truth.

Anyhow, good to see they at least tried to remember...…………………….

This is the bitterest pain among men,
To have much knowledge , but no power.

Herodotus

3 (edited by Chuut 2019-06-08 03:14:34)

The only real truths on a battlefield are those that are taken away by those who were there.  These truths can't be shared with others who were not there, only hinted at.  The real truth is far beyond word.  My Uncle (WWII) and my brother (Desert Storm) but saw combat and though they try to share their truths you can see in their eyes that there is so much more they can never truly share.

Agreed, on a personal level.

My grandfathers, both gassed at Passchendaele, my father in WW2 (RAF Bomber command 2 full tours), along with all of my uncles one of whom was a POW for 5 years , army , navy air force, in every theatre. They spoke only very rarely then usually in an unguarded moment, or because someone else was lauding their actions, which they sought to play down.

On a larger scale we can get it right, the number of men, casualties etc. The mistakes I was mentioning were the media do not knowing the difference between casualties and deaths, and in one instance used the death toll of the whole campaign (circa 23,000) for the death toll for D-day. That was the kind of thing I was bemoaning.

Herodotus

On another note, I was the only one in my street with bunting out, some Union flags and an "Old glory" I bought in the states a decade ago and which normally resides in my den. There was a time when it would have been the whole street.

As we approach the century mark, history shows us mankind  will repeat its errors, rewash and rinse, roughly every 100 years when all who were in the last debacle and their direct descendants are dead or too old to influence anybody.

Herodotus

I wouldn't be too pessimistic.  Remember the last go round at the start the 2 most influential people in Britain were Neville Chamberlain and Edward Wood.....LOL.  When there is a great crisis it is then that a Churchill arises and stokes the fires of the same average Brits who put Chamberlain in office.  I firmly believe there is something in the British character, that will always find the way to rise to the occasion.  It might be again with pain and hardship like the last time and the lessons may not be remembered, but the character is still there, albeit hidden in many cases.  The English lion may very well be sleeping, but when it awakens it is still a lion.