Re: City of Heroes 2019 Review | It's amazing | First Impressions

I got everything in order this weekend and got some playtime.  I spent more time on the character creator than anything else as I saw several power sets I've never seen before and altism bit me and I just started making toons. 

It was just like I remembered it as far as gameplay.  My playtime puts me on during lower load times so I did not have much of a problem with lag.  Only a little stutter or two when I super jumped over the course of a whole zone.  Nothing during combat.

I keep seeing people asking for "BFD" groups in chat, but I have no idea what that means.  I've only soloed so far and I will solo for a few missions and then switch toons.  My highest toon is Nox at level 10.  I just can't stay settled on one toon very long.  I figure we're just one cease and desist letter/lawsuit away from being back to no CoH anyway, so I can't settle in for the long haul yet.

I made so many toons I don't even remember their names.  Next time I play I'm going to cull my character list some as some of them I didn't enjoy.

I was a little disappointed that the "Villains" side in this isn't CoV, but Going Rogue.  I do miss the Rogue Islands, or have I missed something?

Son, you've got a panty on your head.

Tanemund wrote:

I was a little disappointed that the "Villains" side in this isn't CoV, but Going Rogue.  I do miss the Rogue Islands, or have I missed something?

Yes.

To start in the Rogue Islands you pick City of Heros and not Going Rogue.   Follow the character creator and you will see a choice near the end to enter into the villains tutorial zone or if you skip the tutorial a choice to play as either a hero or a Villain.

I just created (then afterwards deleted) a Corruptor to test this and I was starting on Mercy Island.

As for Globals I sent out friend invites but no idea if those worked or not.  I had found Alan online at the same time as I was and was able to get him added, but Dave and Don are not on my list despite sending out invites I thought.  Maybe have to be online at same time?

Ok figured out my global is "Queen of Thorns"  apparently your global is the first tune you create I guess.

Tanemund wrote:

I keep seeing people asking for "BFD" groups in chat, but I have no idea what that means.

Sure it wasn't DFB?

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Death_from_Below

Death from Below (DfB) is a "sewer trial" introduced in Issue 21 available to both Heroes and Villains, but not Praetorians. This trial can be run at any level and provides exceptional rewards, including experience point bonuses and Single Origin Enhancements, making it an excellent and popular tool for players looking to level new characters quickly.

This trial in some ways replaces the Sewer Network, which was similar but completely unstructured. The Sewer Network is still available for players who wish to adventure there. Players can queue individually or in groups for Death from Below via the Team-Up Teleporter in the LFG Window, a selection on the Chat Window.

When enough players are queued, they will be teleported to the beginning of the trial, which begins with defeating Hellions. Characters are exemplared to level 2 initially, which increases with each cleared section, to a maximum of level 6.
Contents
1 Overview
2 Missions
2.1 Defeat the Hellions in the sewers!
2.2 Defeat the Vahzilok in the sewers!
2.3 Clear out the Lost!
2.4 The Hydra Nest
3 Rewards

At the beginning of each section, a Longbow Hazard Trainer is present to provide training to heroes, and a Recon Arbiter for villains. It is very common for a low level character to gain several levels from one run of Death from Below. Defeated heroes and villains show up at the beginning of the first section. Additionally, after defeating a boss, a portal opens up between the entrance and the beginning of the next section, allowing any defeated heroes or villains to teleport to that section instead of having to run through each of the segments to get to where their team is fighting. With each boss defeat, the portal changes to drop characters at the section after the last boss defeat.

While not technically cooperative play, the trial is the same for both heroes and villains except for who assists by caption popups. Note that vigilantes may not participate in villain sewer trials, and rogues may not participate in hero sewer trials.

Rewards
Improved experience rewards from critters in the Trial, large chunks of (amount?) XP for completing each section of the trial, and archvillain XP for at least the two Hydra heads, if not the previous three bosses (depending on team size).

At least two Single Origin Enhancements around the level of the character, which can be well below level 22, when the standard store-purchased SOs can be slotted. If team size is big enough, a character can get at least five SOs from the four bosses. (Mid to high level characters may see SOs drop from the standard critters, as in normal content.)

Your choice of one of four temporary powers. The powers last for one week in-game or until level 22:

Hydra Chemical Accuracy Enhancer +12% To-Hit
Hydra Chemical Damage Enhancer +12% Damage(All)
Hydra Chemical Defense Enhancer +5.25% Defense(All)
Hydra Chemical Recovery Enhancer +15% recovery

never done it myself either BTW.

31 (edited by Chuut 2019-05-28 20:16:54)

Oh and BTW I understand that the old Positron Task Force has now been split into 2 parts.

I also heard someone saying in chat that now Positron, while it puts you at the level of the Task Force leader allows you access to your powers that you acquired up to level 20. 

If that is true along with the splitting up of it into more tame manageable halves Positron wont be nearly the pain it used to be.

I've been on The Division 2 for a bit, due to a couple of friends moving over there. However, it's slowed down since the new raid is kind of ridiculous on PS4.

Anyways, I messed around on CoH for a bit, and now it's like a new game for me. I stopped playing before much of the expansion and later patches were released, so this is actually quite refreshing.

What kind of play times are you on?

CoH: Raithyn
SWtOR: Madgrym Crucix [Jedi Sentinel]
DAoC {Phoenix Shard}: Soric [Hero] <Synergy>, Agmundr [Berzerker]
PSN: Raithyn | Steam: Soric | Battlenet: Soric#1739

33 (edited by Chuut 2019-05-29 02:51:57)

My Global is @Queen of Thorns so add that name and you can find me.  Leave me yours (name of first toon created by default I think) and I will add you.

As far as my playtime it varies depending on the day and the work load that day the following day.   But best time to likely find me would be around 5-10 EST (except Friday then 5-7).  I may be on earlier or later or not be on depending.

Alan and I have teamed a couple of times in the mid afternoon.  We got his scrapper and my troller running together in a really effective combo at level 13 right now.  We pretty much blew though everything today with no stress.  If we can do this with a larger group might be time to raise up the difficulty at the field trainer....but my troller does have a bit of a concern with endurance atm....toggles...toggles....LOL

I missed Dave when he was on last time but he accepted my Global friend invite so got him on the global friends list and can invite his heroes to the SG whenever I catch him on.  Still haven't found Don although I did send the global invite, so likely he hasn't been on the last 2 days.

At present either Alan or I can add you to the SG, for the base teleporters and other goodies.  We got all of each others alts added this afternoon to the Adventure Follies Supergroup.

Also see above for the discord voice coms link.

Ok Nox Noctivagus is now in the SG.  Have to get any other heroes Dave has next time.

35 (edited by Chuut 2019-05-29 07:38:53)

Oh and another SFCII friend may be coming over to play some on Reunion, Sir God aka Stephen  if you guys remember him...former marine from Oklahoma and really nice guy....and the one who informed me of the new public server Coh thing in the first place.

If he does would anyone have an objection in admitting him into the SG?

My global is Raithyn.

I created a fire/tactical arrow blaster on Reunion. I game between 6pm and 10pm on the days I'm not cooking during the week. Weekends are a toss up. It could be an all day marathon or nothing at all.

I'll check in this evening...

Psst.....

Dave download Discord  wink

38 (edited by Chuut 2019-05-31 05:44:38)

Anyone up for Positron this weekend?  It is 2 parts now I understand.  Maybe one part saturday afternoon one part sunday afternoon?  Thinking maybe a 3pmish start time but am flexible.

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Positron_T … e_Part_One
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Positron_T … e_Part_Two

What is required:  3 characters.

Level 10 or higher Mobs will spawn no higher than 16.

I'm in. Should have the blaster at or close to 15 by then.

Well just us so far Mad, but looking like maybe 3;30 before I'll be ready.  Guess we just see if anyone else comes on and is interested.

I got Discord and downloaded it.  I'm not sure it's working honestly.  I don't know if my mic is working.  I heard Cruzin and then he was gone.  I'm not sure if it was something I did, but I don't think he heard me try and answer him back.

I'll work on it.

Ok I'm on discord now and will be for a bit.  Cant see it when playing but if I step away I'll try to remember to say something if it is for more than a minute or so so you will not get a wrong impression that you were not being heard if there is no issue.

43 (edited by Madgrym 2019-06-04 12:36:30)

Overview of enhancements: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/c … ancements/

In-depth enhancement discussion: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/c … lanations/

Where to find particular, origin-based enhancement drops: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/c … nts_guide/

I was able to come up with about 14mil influence in a short period of time.

To do this, it is very easy to work the auction house for about 10-15 minutes and make ~5-10mil.
- Buy 5 enhancement boosters from the merit vendor (costs 25 merit badges)
- Go to the AH and look up the price history for the booster
- Drop your selling price by about 100-200k, and note the number of people bidding (if the number bidding is higher than the the number of items for sale, you will likely see it sold immediately), then post it up
- Rinse wash and repeat (one at a time to facilitate price fluctuation and percentage-based fees)

I then took some of the bigger ticket items I had (recipes that I will likely never use), and was able to post them all for about 2-3mil influence each. Those are selling slowly but surely.

With the extra "cash", I was able to craft and slot IOs that I needed the most, thus rounding out my character with very good bonuses until about 35 or so.

If anyone needs some assistance with a few IOs, let me know.

I'm still stricken with Altist.  I can't stop making new characters, most of which I delete before I log on.  When I do log on I'm always on a different character and I'm usually fiddling with their outfits.

Oh man I love this game.

I've also seen they have maintenance coming up.  Last night was the first time I can remember there being lag on the server that was irritating.  I even crashed out once while super jumping across a zone.  Server probably needs a flush.

They did maintenance yesterday in the afternoon, seemed to be smoother afterwards.  Wasn't terrible before but I had noticed a few minor glitches before that.

By the way any luck with the Discord Voice?  Would love to hear you on it.

And any word from Don, sent him a global invite but have not seen him on at all.

I have to confess to not playing CoH atm, or anything else, kinda burned out on DAoC and just can't get my head into CoH, no doubt I will have another bash shortly, glad you guys are getting on with it. I do have to say like Sock I keep making new toons then never doing anything with them, there is no doubt the glory of the game is toon generation.

This is the bitterest pain among men,
To have much knowledge , but no power.

Herodotus

at least log on an accept my global friend invite for now if it is still there